Connect with us

Sports

Update on the latest in sports:

Published

on

COLLEGE BASKETBALL-CORRUPTION

3 get prison in college basketball recruiting scandal

NEW YORK (AP) – Three men have received prison sentences in the widespread college basketball recruiting scandal that has tainted two dozen schools.

Former Adidas executive James Gatto, business manager Christian Dawkins and amateur league director Merl Code were convicted of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in October for funneling illegal payments to families of recruits to Louisville, Kansas and North Carolina State.

Gatto received nine months in prison. Dawkins and Code received six months each.

Prosecutors say coaches teamed up with the Adidas executive and others to trade hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes’ choice of schools, shoe sponsors, agents and even tailors.

MLB

Padres’ Jankowski to miss several months with broken wrist

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) – Padres outfielder Travis Jankowski will miss the first couple months of the season after breaking a bone in his right wrist while diving to catch a fly ball against Texas.

Padres manager Andy Green said an MRI revealed the fracture and Jankowski will have surgery this week. Jankowski was poised to be a fourth outfielder and defensive replacement.

Jankowski missed almost all of 2017 with a broken bone in his right foot. He hit .259 in 117 games last season, but his biggest value came with his defense and speed. He stole 24 bases in 31 chances.

In other news from spring training:

– New York Yankees right-hander Luis Severino has been scratched from his first scheduled spring training start due to right shoulder discomfort. Severino was slated to face the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday but was replaced by Stephan Tarpley. New York manager Aaron Boone has said that Severino was expected to the opening-day starter against the Baltimore Orioles on March. 28.

– Pitcher Clay Buchholz and the Toronto Blue Jays have finalized a $3 million, one-year contract. The 34-year-old right-hander is expected to join a starting rotation that includes Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez. A two-time All-Star, Buchholz is 84-64 with a 4.78 ERA in 12 big league seasons for Boston (2007-16), Philadelphia (2017) and the Diamondbacks. He pitched a no-hitter against Baltimore in his second major league start.

– The Detroit Tigers have assigned top draft pick Casey Mize to minor league camp. Mize, the No. 1 selection in last year’s draft, pitched two innings Monday for the Tigers against St. Louis. He struck out the first two batters of a 1-2-3 seventh, then allowed a run in the eighth after walking two.

– Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano will likely miss the first month of the season, following another procedure to repair a severe cut above the heel on his right foot. Sano saw a plastic surgeon to undergo an operation to remove damaged tissue or foreign objects from a wound. Sano suffered the gash in late January during the celebration of his team’s winter league championship in the Dominican Republic.

– Cody Bellinger and the Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to a one-year contract that pays a $605,000 salary in the major leagues, a $20,000 raise from last year. A unanimous pick as NL Rookie of the Year in 2017, the outfielder/first baseman hit .260 with 25 homers and 76 RBIs last year, down from a .267 average, 39 homers and 97 RBIs in his debut season. His salary would drop to $292,500 this year in the unlikely event he is sent to the minor leagues.

METS-MENDOZA

Mendoza to work for Mets while remaining an ESPN broadcaster

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) – Jessica Mendoza has been hired as a baseball operations adviser for the New York Mets while remaining a broadcaster for ESPN’s “Sunday Night Baseball.” The move is part of an increasing number of television commentators who also work for teams.

The Mets said Tuesday she will be involved in player evaluation, roster construction, technological advancement and health and performance.

Mendoza, a member of the U.S. Olympic softball team in 2004 and 2008, did not address any potential conflict of interest – working for a team while simultaneously commentating on all clubs. Before Sunday night games, managers routinely give private briefings to the ESPN broadcasters.

NHL-CANUCKS-SUTTER

Canucks’ Brandon Sutter needs surgery, likely out for season

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) – Vancouver Canucks center Brandon Sutter will have sports hernia surgery again and is likely done for the season.

The team said Tuesday his recovery is expected to last six to eight weeks.

Vancouver entered Tuesday eight points out of a wild-card spot in the congested Western Conference. Its regular season ends April 6.

Sutter hasn’t played since a Feb. 9 victory over Calgary.

NFL-COLTS-HUNT SIGNS

Colts re-sign Hunt, keep starting DT off free-agent market

UNDATED (AP) – Defensive tackle Margus Hunt has re-signed with the Indianapolis Colts, keeping him off the free-agent market.

The 6-foot-8, 298-pound lineman started 15 games with Indy last season, primarily at tackle after starting the season as an end. He posted career highs with 30 tackles, 13 for loss, and five sacks. He also forced one fumble and recovered another.

In other NFL news:

– The Chicago Bears have released linebacker Sam Acho. An eight-year veteran, Acho made 25 starts in four seasons with the Bears and had four sacks, three pass breakups and three forced fumbles. He missed the final 12 games last year because of a torn pectoral muscle.

In NFL news:

– Former Denver Broncos backup quarterback Chad Kelly has pleaded not guilty to first-degree criminal trespassing after being accused of entering a couple’s suburban Denver home uninvited. KDVR-TV reports that Kelly entered the plea on Monday in Arapahoe County District Court.

– The New York Giants didn’t put a franchise tag on three-time Pro Bowl safety Landon Collins. The Giants’ leading tackler in each of his four seasons with the team, Collins has thanked the organization for “4 great years” in a tweet and said he was looking forward to the next chapter of his football career.

Cornerback Kevin Johnson has been released by the Houston Texans. Johnson was a first-round pick in 2015 but never lived up to his high draft status in a career that was plagued by injuries. He got a concussion in a preseason game last season and after a second one in the first week of the regular season he was placed on injured reserve and didn’t return.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL-DUKE-WILLIAMSON

Duke’s Williamson out for 4th straight game with knee injury

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) – Duke star freshman Zion Williamson will miss his fourth straight game because of a mild right knee sprain.

The school made the announcement about four hours before the fourth-ranked Blue Devils play host to Wake Forest in their home finale Tuesday night.

Williamson was hurt in the opening minute of an 88-72 loss to North Carolina on Feb. 20. He planted his foot while dribbling and his left shoe tore apart.

Duke is 2-1 in full games without him, beating Syracuse and Miami but losing at Virginia Tech. Williamson ranks second in the league in scoring, averaging 21.6 points. He also ranks among the league leaders in rebounding, shooting percentage and steals.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL-NEBRASKA-WASHINGTON

Nebraska RB ‘limited’ in spring as legal issues play out

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) – Nebraska coach Scott Frost says running back Maurice Washington will be a “limited participant” in spring football practice as his legal problems in California play out.

Washington faces felony and misdemeanor charges in California related to his possession and distribution of a video of his former girlfriend being sexually assaulted by two other people in 2016.

Washington played in 11 games as a freshman last season and is in line to be the starter this fall. Frost said Tuesday that Washington might not be at every practice and has other things to worry about now.

SANTA ANITA-FATALITIES

AP Source: 21st horse sustains fatal injury at Santa Anita

ARCADIA, Calif. (AP) – A person with direct knowledge of the situation says a 21st horse has now died at Santa Anita.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Tuesday because the fatality has not been announced publicly.

The person says a filly trained by Hall of Famer Ron McAnally was pulled up during morning training on the dirt track and was taken off by van. The filly was later euthanized because of her injury.

A total of 21 horses have died since the racetrack’s winter meet began on Dec. 26. Last week, Santa Anita was closed for two days while the dirt surface underwent extensive testing.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. blonde lace wigs

    March 11, 2019 at 7:10 am

    i like this blonde lace wigs https://youtu.be/3KO3e4I3_24 omg i are going to be buying another just one

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

THE U.S. WOMEN’S SOCCER TEAM LAWSUIT IS THE LATEST TO ILLUMINATE THE ASTOUNDING WAGE GAP IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS

Published

on

All 28 members of the U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) are suing the U.S. Soccer Federation for gender discrimination, arguing that they are paid less than their peers on the Men’s National Team despite having the same job responsibilities and achieving superior results. The lawsuit is the latest in an ongoing fight against the wage gap in soccer as well as most professional sports around the world.

The USWNT won its third Women’s World Cup in 2015 and will defend its world championship status this summer. In contrast, the men’s team did not qualify for the 2018 men’s World Cup. Five members of the USWNT filed a similar lawsuit in 2016, saying they brought in an additional $20 million in revenue the previous year and yet were still paid roughly a quarter of what the average male player makes.

“Each of us is extremely proud to wear the United States jersey, and we also take seriously the responsibility that comes with that,” USWNT forward Alex Morgan said in a statement. “We believe that fighting for gender equality in sports is a part of that responsibility. As players, we deserved to be paid equally for our work, regardless of our gender.”

The astronomical wage gap across professional sports is a poorly kept secret. Forbes’ 2018 list of the world’s 100 highest-paid athletes did not include any women. Boxer Floyd Mayweather, the highest paid overall, made $285 million. Three of the top ten highest-compensated athletes in the world were soccer players, with Argentina’s Lionel Messi ranking second highest with his pay of $111 million. Tennis player Serena Williams, the highest-paid female athlete in the world in 2018, earned $18.1 million (6.25 percent of Mayweather’s earnings). Brazil’s Marta da Silva, the highest-paid female soccer player and widely respected as the best in the world, makes the equivalent of $500,000 per year (about 0.44 percent of what Messi makes).

Domestically, there is a fairly obvious wage gap in many individual sports. Basketball has come into the spotlight recently after WNBA player A’ja Wilson tweeted about LeBron James’ $154 million contract with the Lakers last year. 

The average WNBA salary is only 20 percent of the average NBA salary, according to CNBC. WNBA players make between $50,000 and $110,000, whereas the starting salary for an NBA player is $560,000 and the starting salary for an NBA referee is $150,000. In tennis, one of the highest-paying sports for women, the median wage gap between a woman ranked in the top 100 and the man with a corresponding ranking is $120,624, the New York Times reported.

The predominant justification for the wage gap is simply that men’s teams make more money. However, a potential contributing factor to that is the fact that men’s sports have historically received significantly more broadcast time and media coverage than women’s sports. A study from the University of Southern California conducted over 25 years found that ESPN’s SportsCenter has devoted only 2 percent of its airtime to women’s sports since 1999. Additionally, 95 percent of television anchors, co-anchors, and analysts and 90.1 percent of print sports editors who make coverage decisions are male. Women’s sports are also covered in a more “boring” way that downplays women’s achievements, the study found. 

The USWNT hopes this lawsuit will have an impact on sexism in sports beyond soccer.

“We believe it is our duty to be the role models that we’ve set out to be and fight to what we know we legally deserve,” USWNT forward Christen Press told the Associated Press. “And hopefully in that way it inspires women everywhere.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola ‘reaches verbal agreement’ to join Juventus

Published

on

Italian journalist Luigi Guelpa claims the Spaniard made a ‘verbal agreement’ to join the Old Lady on a four-year deal — throwing his commitment to winning another Premier League trophy with City into question.

Has Guardiola’s time in Manchester come to an end?
Has Guardiola’s time in Manchester come to an end?Source: Getty Images

WHISPERS: REAL PREPARE JAW-DROPPING HALF-A-BILLION DOLLAR BID TO FINALLY FILL RONALDO VOID

“I’ve learned that Pep Guardiola already has reached a verbal agreement with Juventus for the next four years,” Guelpa told Radio CRC.

“It’s the same person who told me that Ronaldo was going to Juventus.”

City are currently top of the Premier League.
City are currently top of the Premier League.Source: Getty Images

With Allegri expected to part ways with the club after a successful five-year stint, Juve officials are assessing their options and the former Barca and Bayern mastermind is at the top of their wishlist.

Although a ‘verbal agreement’ has been reached between the two parties, it ultimately means nothing in the broader scheme of things, because no one is going anywhere until a contract is signed.

For Guardiola, though, his focus is clearly shifting and title-hungry City fans won’t be too happy if the rumours turn out to be true.

‘HOW WOULD I DESCRIBE MYSELF ON THE PITCH?’: JOSE TAKES UP FIVE-A-SIDE AS REAL CALL LOOMS

The 48-year-old – who has guided City into top spot this season – has won league titles in Spain, Germany and England and would be a valuable asset to any club looking for success.

Continue Reading

Sports

Islamabad United vs Lahore Qalandars: PSL 2019, Match 27, Preview

Published

on

The fourth edition of the Pakistan Super League has been shifted to Pakistan after its 26 matches were played in the United Arab Emirates. 

Three of the remaining matches in Pakistan which were earlier to be held in Lahore have been shifted to Karachi along with other five matches already scheduled to be played here.

The Karachi-leg commences on Saturday with a contest between defending champions Islamabad United and Lahore Qalandars as both teams are aiming to strengthen their chances of securing play-off spots.

Islamabad are currently placed third on the table with eight points from nine games, while Lahore are having fifth spot with six points from eight matches. If the United win they will move to the next round but it will be difficult for the Qalandars to progress to the next stage as they will have to win their last match against Multan Sultans (Monday, March 11) with a massive margin that can improve their net run-rate.

Fast bowler Mohammad Sami is leading Islamabad United and opener Fakhar Zaman is captaining Lahore Qalandars in this match to be played at 7-00 pm at the National Stadium, Karachi on Saturday.

Islamabad United have happy memories of the National Stadium where they won their second PSL title last year, defeating Peshawar Zalmi.

The highest total by Lahore Qalandars is 204/4, a record score by any team in PSL4, (vs Multan Sultans, at Sharjah, Feb 22) while 177/5 is the highest by Islamabad United (vs Lahore Qalandars at Dubai on Feb 14).

The most runs scored for the United are 297 (ave 37.12) in nine matches, by Luke Ronchi, with three fifties while the most for the Qalandars are 218 (ave 54.50) in seven matches, by AB de Villiers with one half-century.

The highest wicket-taker for the United is medium-pacer Faheem Ashraf, who has claimed 13 wickets (ave 18.07) with one four-wicket haul while the highest wicket-taker for the Qalandrs is medium-fast bowler Haris Rauf, who has taken eleven wickets at an average of 18.00 with one four-wicket haul.

Squads

Islamabad United: Mohammad Sami (captain), Sahibzada Farhan, Luke Ronchi, Cameron Delport, Hussain Talat, Faheem Ashraf, Asif Ali, Waqas Maqsood, Rizwan Hussain, Samit Patel, Philip Salt, Amad Butt, Shadab Khan, Ian Bell, Wayne Parnell, Rumman Raees, Muhammad Musa.

Lahore Qalandars: Fakhar Zaman (captain), Salman Butt, Sohail Akhtar, Agha Salman, Corey Anderson, Brandan Taylor, Carlos Brathwaite, Anton Devcich, Gauhar Ali, Hardus Viljoen, Yasir Shah, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf, Rahat Ali, Hassan Khan, David Wiese, Sandeep Lamichhane.

Continue Reading

Trending