Connect with us

Women

Official figures show gender inequality in Turkey’s labor force

Published

on

The employment rate of women remained less than half of the employment rate of men in 2017 in Turkey, according to data released by the Turkish Statistical Institute (TÜİK) on March 6.

In its “Women in Statistics 2018” report, TÜİK said the rate of employment among women above the age of 15 was 28.9 percent while it was 65.6 percent for men.

The education level of women was directly proportionate to their labor force participation rate, which was 15.9 percent for illiterate women, 27.7 percent for those whose education level was under secondary school level, 34.3 percent for women who graduated from high school, 42.6 percent for women who graduated from vocational high school, and 72.7 percent for women who graduated from a university.

However, the proportion of women in executive positions in companies was 17.3 percent in 2017, the report added. This figure was recorded as 14.4 percent in 2012.

It found that the service industry had the highest rate of women employment, with 56.1 percent of women working in the sector.

Proportion of female professors 31.2 percent

The proportion of women working as professors, associate professors, and lecturers in the education year of 2017/2018 was 31.2 percent, 38.8 percent, and 50.2 percent respectively.

The report also cited the data of the Foreign Ministry, saying that while the proportion of female ambassadors was 10.8 percent in 2009, this proportion was 22.1 percent in 2018.

According to the results of life satisfaction survey, in 2018, the proportion of those who were employed as waged, salaried, casual getting trouble of one or two hours of leave for dealing with personal or family related matters in working hours was 9.2 percent while this proportion and 10.3 percent for females and 8.8 percent for males.

Mean age at first marriage for women 24.8

The report also included the average age at first marriage among women and men.

The average age at first marriage became 24.8 for women while it was 27.8 for men in 2018, the report said.

The province with the highest mean age at first marriage was the eastern province of Tunceli with 27.6 for females and 30.8 for males.

The province with the lowest mean age at first marriage was the eastern province of Ağrı with 21.9 for females and were the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa and the western province of Afyonkarahisar with 25.9 for males.

The report also included statistics for the cause of death of women in Turkey in 2017.

The figures showed the most common cause of death among women was circulatory system diseases (with 43.7 percent), which was followed by tumors (15.1 percent) and respiratory system diseases (with 11.2 percent). When the causes of death cases were examined by sex, it was observed that there was no significant difference between male and females, the report said.

According to life satisfaction survey results, the proportion of individuals who declared themselves as happy was 53.4 percent in 2018. While the level of happiness 57 percent for females, it was 49.6 percent for males.

It was seen that 56.3 percent of married individuals and 46.7 percent of non-married individuals were happy. While 60.7 percent of married females and 51.6 percent of married males declared that they were happy, 47.9 percent of non-married females and 45.5 percent of non-married males declared that they were happy.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COMMUNITIES

Amy Poehler Wants To Know When Women Will Get To Be As Mediocre As Men

Published

on

Amy Poehler wants women to be allowed to be as “messy” and “mediocre” as men.

“Women are constantly criticized for being too emotional,” the comedian and actor told The Hollywood Reporter in a feature published Wednesday. “Can we be allowed to be as messy, as all over the place, as inconsistent and as mediocre as men? Do we have to always be patient, special, nurturing, adaptable?”

Poehler, whose directorial debut, “Wine Country,” hits Netflix next month, added that she is sick of women having to explain the bad behavior of men like fellow comedian Louis C.K., whom several women have accused of sexual misconduct.

“Women seem to be, unfortunately, the ones that have to have the answers,” she said. “Whether or not we want to be the ones with the answers.”

Head over to The Hollywood Reporter to read Poehler’s full interview.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article indicated “Wine Country” would be showing in theaters. It will debut on Netflix

Continue Reading

COMMUNITIES

Fans Rally Around Progressive Christian Author Placed In Medically Induced Coma

Published

on

Friends and fans of the popular progressive Christian author Rachel Held Evans are rallying around her family after receiving news that Evans has been placed in a medically induced coma.

Last Sunday, the 37-year-old asked her substantial Twitter following for prayers, saying that she was in the hospital with the flu and a urinary tract infection. She said she was having a severe allergic reaction to antibiotics doctors had given her.

On Friday, her husband Dan Evans posted a statement to the writer’s website revealing that she was “exhibiting unexpected symptoms.” Doctors found that her brain was experiencing “constant seizures.” As they determine how to best treat her, they placed her in a medically induced coma. The writer was still in the ICU and in a coma on Tuesday, according to her husband.

Evans is a Christian writer from Dayton, Tennessee, who has authored several popular books about her journey away from conservative evangelical Christianity and towards a more progressive theology that is committed to feminism, inclusive of LGBTQ Christians, and accepting of doubt. Evans now attends an Episcopal church.

Before her health took a turn for the worse, Evans was eagerly tweeting about her plans to co-host a progressive Christian conference in October. The Denver conference is a gathering for people who have walked away from conservative religious traditions and may not feel like they currently have a spiritual home.

As news of her illness spread, friends and fans shared reflections about the impact Evans has had on their lives. Some women wrote about how Evans inspired them to attend seminary. Others talked about how Evans’ honest writing about wrestling with doubt helped guide them through their own periods of deconstructing their childhood faiths. Fans also talked about how Evans’ progressive convictions helped them realize conservative evangelicals don’t have a monopoly on Christianity.

Becky Castle Miller
@bcastlemiller
I’m seeing a stream of tweets from women saying, “I wouldn’t be preaching if not for @rachelheldevans. I wouldn’t be in seminary if not for her.” (I’m one of them) God, thank you for Rachel’s work in raising up your daughters to serve your church. Heal her now. #prayforRHE

1,366
10:45 PM – Apr 19, 2019
124 people are talking about this

Ms. Charlotte
@charlotteirene8
I’m holding space for .@rachelheldevans and praying she has a full recovery. She was the first person to tell me it’s okay to leave the evangelical church and find healthier faith spaces. #PrayForRHE

379
12:49 AM – Apr 20, 2019
24 people are talking about this

Brittney Cooper
@ProfessorCrunk
I have been deeply blessed by the ministry and writing of @rachelheldevans, particularly when I was in my 20s and early 30s struggling for a better spiritual path. I pray the Lord Our Healer fully restore Rachel, and I believe God can and will hear our prayers. Amen. #PrayforRHE

140
5:01 AM – Apr 20, 2019
See Brittney Cooper’s other Tweets

Hannah Evans
@hannahschaef
Rachel changed me through her writing, created a door where there was none, gave me language & imagination for a faith that wasn’t marked by my fear. & when she wrote Searching for Sunday, she led me back to church again. Thinking of her and holding her close today. #PrayForRHE

11:56 PM – Apr 19, 2019
See Hannah Evans’s other Tweets

Brandi Miller
@BrandiNico
Been trying to process and pray for Rachel Held Evans today.

Her book, “Year of Biblical Womanhood” was the first even remotely progress book that I ever read. It helped me have a larger view of and love for scripture. Praying for her healing. #prayforRHE

259
9:39 AM – Apr 20, 2019
See Brandi Miller’s other Tweets
Evans’ friends have started a GoFundMe page dedicated to helping her family pay for medical costs related to her treatment. The campaign has raised close to $70,000 in one day. They also started a prayer chain on Twitter, tweeting out prayers for the writer under the hashtag #PrayForRHE. The hashtag was trending nationally on Twitter on Friday, Religion News Service reported.

Matthew Vines

@VinesMatthew
I love Rachel Held Evans so much. God, please bring her protection and healing. Please bring comfort and peace to her husband and their two precious little ones who need their mother. Please bring wisdom to her doctors and help her recover. This world needs her. #PrayforRHE

984
11:21 PM – Apr 19, 2019
79 people are talking about this

Kate Bowler

@KatecBowler
Gracious God,
You give us the absurd dignity of prayer, to cry to the void and beg you to act. Please heal and be near to our friend @rachelheldevans that you comfort her dearest humans, and give wisdom to her medical team. And peace, peace, peace to all who love her #PrayforRHE

2,050
10:18 PM – Apr 19, 2019
232 people are talking about this

Reverend Jes Kast
@RevJesKast
It’s Easter Monday, God. Didn’t you get the message? My friend Rach is supposed to tweet us now and say she is better. We won’t stop praying and we know you are able, please – Jesus – hold her and strengthen her in body and soul. @rachelheldevans #PrayForRHE

741
7:51 PM – Apr 22, 2019
53 people are talking about this
Some pointed out that even those who were more skeptical or uncertain about the concept of prayer seemed moved by the call to pray for Evans.

Science Mike

@mikemchargue
I can think of few people who are such examples of what I imagine a healthy Christian would look like as @rachelheldevans. So, I’ve been on my knees in intercessory prayer that I’m not sure I believe in this morning. #PrayForRHE

1,908
10:09 PM – Apr 19, 2019
144 people are talking about this

Jamie Lee Finch
@jamieleefinch
I don’t exactly know what praying is or isn’t anymore, but I know that @rachelheldevans is a gift. And I can feel that every cell in my body wants her well, so I’m actively agreeing with them. However you pray or however you don’t, let’s all #PrayForRHE.

1,191
12:26 AM – Apr 20, 2019 · Los Angeles, CA
107 people are talking about this

Lindsay Smith
@lvsmithauthor
This is the beauty and power of Rachel’s ministry; that a bunch of church misfits are gathering to pray for her because we love her so, even if we don’t consider ourselves pray-ers anymore. She abounds in grace and love and wisdom. Lord bring healing. Lord be near. #PrayForRHE

720
10:43 PM – Apr 19, 2019
74 people are talking about this

Ashley Baker
@ashiebaker
Perhaps the best example of @rachelheldevans impact on the world is the fact that a bunch of people who at one point held faith and Christian community at arms length are now here together praying for her. #prayforRHE

1,604
10:32 PM – Apr 19, 2019
203 people are talking about this
The calls to pray were echoed in conservative Christian circles ― including by some who have publicly disagreed with Evans’ theological convictions.

Russell Moore

@drmoore
. @rachelheldevans and I are, as you know, theological opposites, and we’ve debated each other on all kinds of stuff over the years.

She needs our prayers right now.

Conservatives, progressives, centrists, everybody: let’s pray for RHE. https://rachelheldevans.com/blog/health-updates …

2,766
8:13 PM – Apr 20, 2019
Rachel’s Health Updates
Hi I’m Dan (Rachel’s husband) and this is where you can find accurate public updates about Rachel’s health. I will update this post as needed. Thank you to all of those that have showed support and…

rachelheldevans.com
342 people are talking about this

Rod Dreher

@roddreher
I’ve scrapped intensely with the progressive Christian writer Rachel Held Evans, but I’m grieved to hear that she is in the hospital in grave condition this Easter weekend. Please pray for her, and her family!

1,582
12:25 AM – Apr 20, 2019
172 people are talking about this

Beth Moore

@BethMooreLPM
Let’s get this straight. We don’t have to change our stand to kneel & pray. Good Lord. Just pray, for crying out loud. RHE needs PRAYER! If we’re only going to pray for people we line up with doctrinally, we’re going to have the shortest quiet times in the history of the church.

5,967
5:02 PM – Apr 23, 2019
546 people are talking about this
Evans’ husband responded to the outpouring on Tuesday. “Thank you again to everyone who has donated their time and resources and offered their thoughts and prayers,” Dan Evans wrote. “Rachel would have a really beautiful way to say all of this.”

Continue Reading

COMMUNITIES

The 20 Funniest Tweets From Women This Week (April 13-19)

Published

on

The ladies of Twitter never fail to brighten our days with their brilliant ― and succinct ― wit. Each week, HuffPost Women rounds up hilarious musings of 280 characters or less.

Scroll through this week’s great tweets from women below. Then visit our Funniest Tweets From Women page for past roundups.

muna

@Muna_Mire
I love giving people advice my therapist gave me in the past that I absolutely did not listen to myself

9,768
8:27 AM – Apr 15, 2019
1,263 people are talking about this

Brandy Jensen
@BrandyLJensen
not once in my life have i “brought something to the table”

5,432
12:30 AM – Apr 18, 2019 · Brooklyn, NY
842 people are talking about this

Malia Mills
@malia_mills
Me: ☹️
Shania Twain: Lets go girls
Me: 🤠

333K
5:02 AM – Apr 8, 2019
95.3K people are talking about this

Elizabeth Hackett
@LizHackett
People hoping to save Earth for the children have not yet met the children 100 feet behind me who are fucking furious their parents brought them on a hike.

1,244
8:09 PM – Apr 14, 2019
116 people are talking about this

nadirah

@hinadirah
about me:

4,924
8:14 AM – Apr 19, 2019
2,069 people are talking about this

Fossilized Tree Resin
@Jamberee13
Him: Keto has really helped me get my life on track.

Me: *eating Mac and cheese out of a bread bowl* I also am alive

3,229
3:19 AM – Apr 17, 2019
486 people are talking about this

ziwe

@ziwe
I will like every picture of a baby on my timeline and that’s just the type of bitch I am

318
7:20 PM – Apr 14, 2019
24 people are talking about this

Annie Hatfield
@HatfieldAnne
Giving my description of the car that side-swiped me “It was black, which I like, but not a kind of car I’d buy.”

299
1:59 AM – Apr 15, 2019
127 people are talking about this

Kashana

@kashanacauley
Me walking into one of those places that charges $24 for grilled cheese.

3,080
7:45 AM – Apr 15, 2019
171 people are talking about this

Gabriella Paiella

@GMPaiella
A new boxing place opened a few blocks from my apartment so I’m excited to try it for a week, make that my entire identity, and then never go again

318
9:19 PM – Apr 15, 2019
See Gabriella Paiella’s other Tweets

Kelly Weill

@KELLYWEILL
hey welcome to dinner at any new york restaurant that describes itself as ‘new american’. it’s a burger with shoestring fries and it’s $32. dark in here!!

10.9K
1:25 AM – Apr 14, 2019
894 people are talking about this

kelly
@kelllicopter
a teenage girl at a concert told me i was really pretty last night i have become a Cool Older Girl ™ and no one can touch me

14.7K
3:49 AM – Apr 14, 2019
487 people are talking about this

hunter harris

@hunteryharris
yes the rumors are true — if i dont feel like a joke i made over text gets enough attention i WILL add a haha react. thanks – management

821
2:12 AM – Apr 17, 2019
51 people are talking about this

Abby Heugel
@AbbyHasIssues
It doesn’t take much to make me happy. Six meals a day. Ten hours of sleep. A pair of yoga pants, complete solitude, and no social obligations whatsoever.

5,579
4:59 AM – Apr 18, 2019
1,318 people are talking about this

Eliza Skinner

@elizaskinner
Good news, online retailers! I feel bad and bored!

12.8K
4:12 AM – Apr 19, 2019
1,834 people are talking about this

amber ruffin

@ambermruffin
***hears loud, shitty neighbors being loud again***
***gets mad***
***stomps downstairs***
***realizes they’re watching Beyonce documentary***
***sees them in a whole new light***
***becomes able to relate to them***
***likes them a little bit bit more***

16.7K

It’s crazy that if it were 1950 I’d have a husband and a lobotomy already

104K
10:26 PM – Apr 14, 2019
21.3K people are talking about this

Naomi Spungen
@freelancebass
Insane thing about seeing someone driving without a shirt is that they know AT MINIMUM two locations where they’re comfortable without one

1,150
2:53 AM – Apr 17, 2019
105 people are talking about this

Walking Outside In Slippers
@WalkingOutside
I’m never more optimistic than when I put fast food restaurant sauce packets in the fridge and think I’m going to use them at some point.

117